It’s National Chocolate Cake Day! What better way to celebrate than with a delicious recipe straight out of Epcot?
I own a ‘few’ Disney cookbooks, and when I realized what today was, I pulled them out to find the perfect treat for the day! Enjoy!
Yield: 10 Servings
This cake is separated into four parts.
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp sweet butter (melted and cooled)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees
- Grease and flour a 9-inch springform pan. Line the bottom with waxed paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and cocoa. Set the bowl aside.
- In a double boiler, combine the eggs and sugar. You want to do it over hot not boiling water. Stir constantly until it becomes creamy.
- Remove from the heat and beat until thick and fluffy.
- Fold in a third of the flour.
- Dribble the butter and vanilla over the batter and fold in.
- Fold in the rest of the flour.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, remove from the pan and let cool on a wire rack.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp rum
- In a saucepan, boil the water and sugar together.
- Add rum to the mixture and let cool.
- 5 ounces melted semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 eggs lightly beaten egg yolks
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate.
- In a medium bowl, combine the egg yolks, cream. Mix together.
- While stirring rapidly, add the chocolate slowly in the egg mixture. Add the vanilla.
- In an electric mixture, beat the egg white and the sugar. Stiff peaks will form.
- Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Be careful not to deflate. Chill until ready to use.
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Over very low heat, melt chocolate.
- In a medium bowl, combine the milk, cream, vanilla, and sugar. Beat the mixture.
- Once the cream mixture is mixed, immediately combine with the chocolate. Mix and cook for one minute. Allow cooling slightly.
Assembly of chocolate mousse cake:
- While remaining in the springform pan, the bottom layer is the genoise to form the base.
- Brush the genoise with the rum syrup.
- Cover with a layer of chocolate mousse.
- Top with cooled chocolate ganache. Place in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Once cooled, remove from pan and serve with whipped cream and sliced almonds if desired.