1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon black pepper
2 pounds pork belly
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 tablespoons diced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound plum tomatoes, diced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
Coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
SOUS VIDE EGG
4 large eggs
1/2 cup frozen spinach leaves, thawed
3/4 cup chopped romaine lettuce
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
Micro basil, optional
FOR PORK BELLY:
- Mix salt, sugar, and black pepper together in a small bowl.
- Rub all sides of pork belly with salt mix. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. Place pork belly, skin side down, in hot oil and cook for 2 minutes, or until browned. Turn pork belly and cook other side until browned. Move to a baking pan.
- Wrap pork belly in parchment paper and foil. Bake in the pan for 3 hours.
- Remove from oven, unwrap and slice pork belly into 8 (2-ounce) slices.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat for 3 minutes. Cook pork belly slices for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until crispy. Keep warm until ready to serve.
FOR TOMATO JAM:
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add garlic and tomatoes and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Stir in balsamic vinegar and brown sugar and stir until brown sugar dissolves. Add salt and pepper.
- Cook on medium-low heat for 45 minutes, until thick and reduced by 3/4. Keep warm until ready to serve.
FOR SOUS VIDE EGG:
- Preheat water to 145°F in a sous vide machine (or see poached egg instructions below). Add eggs and cook for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to an ice bath for 2 minutes.
- Peel eggs and place in a bowl until ready to serve.
FOR ROMAINE PURÉE:
- Remove excess liquid from thawed spinach by wrapping in tea towel or paper towels and squeezing.
- Place spinach, romaine lettuce, mayonnaise, sour cream, and salt into food processor. Blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
FOR HERB CRUMB:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place panko bread crumbs on baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring once, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes.
- Place toasted bread crumbs and Italian seasoning into food processor and pulse until fine.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of romaine purée down left side of a serving plate. Sprinkle 1 to 2 tablespoons of herb crumb over purée.
- Squeeze a thin line of Dijon mustard from top right side of plate to top left side.
- Place 2 pieces of pork belly in center. Spoon 1 tablespoon of tomato jam on each end of pork belly. Place 1 egg on top of pork belly.
- Garnish with micro basil, if desired.
Cook’s Note: If you don’t have a sous vide machine, just soft-boil the eggs on the stovetop. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Using a slotted spoon, carefully lower eggs into water one at a time. Cook 6 minutes (set a timer!). Transfer to an ice bath for 2 minutes to make them easier to peel.
What to drink: Try a smooth Cabernet Sauvignon from Washington State.
This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens.
The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version.
All recipes are the property of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc.,
and may not be reproduced without express permission.