From Disney Parks Blog
You won’t have to travel around World Showcase to try the famous Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup from EPCOT – you can now make it at HOME!
Although featured in many Disney cookbooks, for the first time on Disney Parks Blog, we’re releasing the recipe for this classic soup you’ll find on the menu at Le Cellier Steakhouse in the Canada pavilion. It’s one of our most popular recipes and also a favorite of mine (of course, I love anything that involves cheese!) It serves as a great appetizer or even a warm dish for a cozy afternoon and you can pair it with pretzel bread for dipping for a magical meal!
Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup from Le Cellier Steakhouse at EPCOT
1/2 pound of bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
3 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken stock
4 cups milk
1 pound white cheddar cheese, grated
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Coarse salt, freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup warm Canadian golden lager or any pale lager-style beer
Chopped scallions or chives, for garnish
- In a 4- or 5-quart Dutch oven, cook bacon, stirring, over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Add red onion, celery, and butter and sauté until onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes over medium heat. Whisk in chicken stock and bring to boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add milk and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Do not boil after milk is added.
- Remove from heat and add cheese, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Blend with immersion blender until cheese is melted and soup is smooth. Stir in warm beer. If the soup is too thick, thin with some warm milk.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with chopped scallions or chives.
Note: This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version. As a reminder while preparing this recipe, please supervise children who are helping or nearby.
From our Disney family to yours, we hope you enjoy this popular Disney recipe! And be sure to share the fun with Disney fans all over the world using the hashtag #DisneyMagicMoments. Keep checking back to the Disney Parks Blog for even more #DisneyMagicMoments and more magical recipes. Happy snacking, Disney fans!