Do you ever open your fridge and just stare trying to figure out what to make for dinner? Or look at what you have in the fridge and try to figure out what you can make out of eggs, mayonnaise, and leftover rice? I had that moment last night when I looked and we had kale, chicken breast, and crescent rolls that all needed to be used. What in the world could I make? Yes, I know I could have cooked them all separately, but I wanted something easy. Bring on Pinterest.
Searching chicken, kale, and crescent rolls proved to be unsuccessful on Pinterest, so on to Google I went. I found one recipe. One. Stinking. Recipe. Luckily it gave me a great idea on what I could throw together and it turned out to be delicious!
The original recipe was Chicken Kiev and Kale Pockets from www.tablespoon.com. I didn’t have all the ingredients, so I had to improvise and came up with Chicken Spanakopita Pockets instead! Super easy! Super fast! This recipe makes 4 pockets so feel free to double for a larger group. Bonus, I had chicken and kale left over.
1 bunch kale, washed and stems removed
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon lemon juice (I used fresh squeezed)
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons butter, softened
3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon dried dill
1 teaspoon dried chopped parsley
1 teaspoon dried chives
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 can Pillsbury™ refrigerated crescent rolls
2 cups shredded chicken
- Heat oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with silicone mats or parchment paper and set aside. Take butter and cream cheese out to soften
- Head a small amount of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add kale and cook, stirring often, until wilted and soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook about 2 more minutes
- Remove kale from heat and toss with lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Set aside
- In a small bowl, stir together butter, cream cheese, dill, parsley, chives, and oregano
- Unroll crescent rolls on prepped baking sheet. Divide into 4 pieces, press seams together, and flatten with rolling pin
- Add chicken and kale leaving about 1” border around the edges. Top with feta cheese and a dollop of butter/cream cheese mixture
- Fold over (either square or triangle) and press sides together with a fork
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove from oven and brush remaining butter/cream cheese mixture onto warm pockets
- Shove them in your face and enjoy!
These were definitely a hit in my house! Give them a try! I hope you love them as much as we did!